Monday, June 11, 2007

What I Listened To In The Late Eighties

I looked some of my favourite musicians after and found out that I've been listening to alternative rock (referring to my Snow Patrol post) since the eighties. Fascinating what Wikipedia can tell you, I did not know that *g*

Here are some examples from different genres, e. g. post-punk. All of them represent alternative rock, too (if Wikipedia is right, I'm no expert when it comes to music genres).

Julian Cope
My Nation Underground

He's called the 'Dark Prince' by some. I love 'Charlotte Ann' although Julian Cope himself did not like this album:




Cope was extremely displeased with his fourth solo album, My Nation Underground, feeling that he had been pressured by his management into recording something that did not represent his artistic intentions. This only spawned one Top 40 single in 'Charlotte Anne'.


Talking Heads
Stop Making Sense

Nuclear weapons can wipe out life on Earth, if used properly. Cats like houses better than people. Dolphins find people amusing, but they don't want to talk to them.


They had some really strange videos (as you might know music videos came up in the eighties and how I loved to watch them!). 'Love For Sale' was my favourite ... really weird stuff, in some sequences the band members were covered with liquid chocolate. Only to be outperformed by Peter Gabriel :-)



I especially like the lyrics of 'The Lady Don't Mind' from the album 'Little Creatures' ...

Well the lady don't mind. No, no, no, the lady don't mind.
She just turns her head and disappears and I kinda like that style.
Little boat that floats on a river, it's drifting through a haze.
She floats by whenever she wants to, well, there she goes again.


The Cure
Disintegration

I think The Cure was my first contact with alternative rock. 'Hot Hot Hot' was one of my ex-husband's favourites, that's how I came to know them.



Their lyrics are extremely beautiful, especially 'Pictures Of You':

I've been looking so long at these pictures of you
That I almost believe that they're real
I've been living so long with my pictures of you
That I almost believe that the pictures are all I can feel

Remembering you standing quiet in the rain
As I ran to your heart to be near

And we kissed as the sky fell in
Holding you close how I always held close in your fear

Remembering you running soft through the night
You were bigger and brighter and wider than the snow
And screamed at the make-believe screamed at the sky
And you finally found all your courage to let it all go

No comments: