Thursday, March 01, 2007

Shakira La Tortura

When I bought Shakira's FijaciĆ³n Oral vol. 1
I was quite surprised how powerful her voice is when she performs in her mother tongue ... and I got very curious what she was singing about.



So I tried to translate La Tortura, La Pared and No ... my favourite songs of this album (click on links to watch the videos, presented by Sony).


Needless to say that the figures of speech are really difficult to translate. In La Tortura for example "a otro perro con ese hueso" literally means "give this bone to another dog".

In German you would say "Mach das einem Anderen weis", in English there seems to be the expression "Tell that to the Marines".

Shakira's lyrics are pure poetry - in Spanish. It's a great language ... I would love to be able to speak it. It seems to me that the Spanish mentality is a lot about pride & passion & honor - attributes which I appreciate very much.

Just like in La Tortura ... Ay amor es una tortura perderte ... Ah my love it is torture to lose you (but you are a liar, you betrayed my feelings so get off my back, I won't shed a tear for you).

On the other hand Shakira's lyrics are very affectionate, caressing ... and sensual. Great combination :-)

No comments: