Saturday, August 22, 2009

Annie Lennox in Edinburgh

I've already published some posts concerning the engagement of Annie Lennox for HIV positive women in Africa - here's her speech at the 46664 stone dedication in Edinburgh. See www.eurythmics.me.uk for a full story and exclusive photos. Film taken by Craig Hogan.



I worked with human blood samples years ago, and I can still remember how very careful I was because of the HI and the hepatitis virus. I'm glad that I was careful enough. Talking about HIV, it's not only the threat of Aids, it's the stigma, too - not only in Africa, that social stigma exists everywhere.

That is part of Annie Lennox's message. Quote: "It is only a virus at the end of the day."

In Africa, there's the myth that intercourse with children purifies the blood. Many children are abused, have to leave their homes and live in shelters. One has to be thankful that such shelters exist at all, but I sincerely hope that people there can extirpate these misguiding myths.

And get medicine. What's our progressive, high-tech world worth, if it only helps people who can afford it?

P.S.
If you are a Facebook user, you might want to visit the SING Campaign group there.

No comments: